Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Psalms 86:5 T

You are forgiving and good, O Lord, abounding in love to all who call to you.

I memorized this 1st scripture a while ago, but this morning I read the full Psalms 86. I took some time to personalize it in prayer...

Today's reading from the Daily Bible was the last part of Genesis - Israel's blessing of his 12 sons. As I read it I wondered about a couple of things. I am not sure if the specifics of some of the blessings are verified later in the Bible. For example, it made a point of Israel's placing Joseph's younger son Ephraim ahead of the older son Manasseh. I guess you would have to study the ancient Israel history to see if Ephraim became dominant compared to Manasseh. The obvious prophetic blessing was the blessing given to his son Judah:
Gen 49:8-12
"Judah, your brothers will praise you; your hand will be on the neck of your enemies; your father's sons will bow down to you. You are a lion's cub, O Judah; you return from the prey, my son. Like a lion he crouches and lies down, like a lioness--who dares to rouse him? The scepter will not depart from Judah, nor the ruler's staff from between his feet, until he comes to whom it belongs and the obedience of the nations is his. He will tether his donkey to a vine, his colt to the choicest branch; he will wash his garments in wine,
his robes in the blood of grapes. His eyes will be darker than wine, his teeth whiter than milk.
(from New International Version)

The portions I have made red are prophetic of Jesus himself. Verse 8 could refer to the lineage of kings which descended from Judah - beginning with David, but Verse 10 states that the sceptor will not depart until He comes... and the obedience of the nations is His... This is the second coming I wait for.

No comments:

Post a Comment